Sunday, March 9, 2008

Kingdom of Sorrow + Turmoil + Dead to Fall @ The Knitting Factory 030208

In the days leading up to this one, I had been listening to Kingdom of Sorrow pretty much non-stop on my iPod. They had great chemistry for only their fourth show...my only regret is that I didn't use flash for my pics! They even covered a couple Crowbar tracks, including 'All I Had, I Gave'. You can tell Jamey is a hardcore guy...he did the sign of the horns and wound up saying I love you. Keep the thumb down! Missed Thy Will Be Done, but luckily made it for most of the Dead To Fall set. These guys are definitely more metal than core in the metalcore equation. I've never watched a vocalist headbang and sing at the same time with such proficiency! I'd read that Turmoil was heavily influenced by Voivod, and being a huge fan of the legendary French Canadians, I was very curious to check these guys out. Well, they were good, and certainly not your regular hardcore band, but I completely missed the Voivod influence. The singer jumped into the pit (which was a big, empty space) to get things going a bit, which was cool. The crowd was about 50/50 metal and hardcore kids...I have to admit though, I really hate hardcore dancing...let's get a circle pit going you hardcore douchebags, this is a metal show! As you can see, I stuck around long enough to get Steve and Kirk's picks. What a great night.

The unmistakable Kirk Windstein...


No comments: