Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Misery Index + Estuary + Waking The Cadaver + Tentacles @ Club Midway 041308

I had to bail early on my sister's birthday dinner for this one.  Luckily, she knows I'm a total metal maniac and at this point I think I'm about 90% forgiven.  I didn't make it for Tentacles but did have a beer with one of the band members after the show; we were seemingly raised on the same diet of Earache/Roadracer and shared most of the same favorite albums from about a dozen different bands.  Ever since the youtube parody, I've always been a huge fan of Waking The Cadaver, although I did find the production on their debut, 'Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler', a little lacking in clarity and overall sound compared to their earlier recordings. Despite the fact that pretty much every metal reviewer on earth hates this band, these guys played a brutal set.  The bouncer looked on in bewildered amazement as we all soaked up the ultra-guttural sickness.  I talked to him after the set and he simply asked 'what the fuck was that?'.  They played 'Authority Through Indimidation', 'Pigtails are for Facefucking' and 'Bloodsplattered Satisfaction', but for some reason, 'Chased Through the Woods' was not part of the setlist!?!  C'mon boys, you gotta dance with the girl that brought you to the ball!  Apparently Estuary have been making their rounds in the underground, but I'd still never heard of them.  The female vocalist roared pretty damn well over some fairly simplistic death/thrash.  Bonus points for the Pestilence and Impetigo t-shirts.  I've always had a 'thing' for Misery Index and they did not disappoint this evening.  The drummer was on point and pretty much destroyed his kit.  I chatted with Jason after the show - very cool guy.  

Ohio's Estuary

Misery Index

Mark and Jason from Misery Index...

Misery Index, half of Estuary plus a couple dudes I don't know...

No comments: